Saturday, November 1, 2014

Picture Book Month Day 1: Travel-Oh, the Places You Will Go!

Picture Book Month is an international literacy initiative 
that celebrates the print picture book during the month of November. 
Visit the Picture Book Month website  

Picture Book Month is here again and I have been looking forward to it for a long time. This is a wonderful chance for older students to pull PBs off the shelves again and enjoy the type of books they enjoyed so much just a few years ago.

The wonderful thing about picture books is that many have become more sophisticated and in-depth in their storytelling. I loved and adored Go Dog Go by P. D. Eastman when I was a kid and now I am enjoying wonderful read alouds like You Will Be My Friend By Peter Brown. I love books that give kids a chance to offer their opinions and help them learn a valuable life lessons.

We are living in a wonderful age of picture books. There are so many talented writers and illustrators creating brilliant books. I only wish the publishing industry was experiencing more success and profitability. I can't bear to think of how many terrific books that have not been published due to lack of funding.

Here is my pick the first day. It is a book that offers so many possibilities and encouragement.
Look at the daily themes here: Picture Book Month Calendar
Day 1 theme: Travel
Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.